“A strong woman understands that the gifts such as logic, decisiveness, and strength are just as feminine as intuition and emotional connection. She values and uses all of her gifts.”– Nancy Rathburn
Women are awesome. Plain and simple they get the job done. That is why statistics show they are performing better than men.
When women enter the workforce they are equal to their male counterparts. Each performs about the same. For a time men then move ahead and are considered more effective. However, as women mature they move ahead and stay ahead.
This continues until about age 60 and then you see men being viewed as more competent with the result that at the highest levels of an organization there are only 3 – 4% of women.
The strange thing is the statistics show women are more competent. The corporate culture just hasn’t caught up yet.
Why are women better? What do they do differently?
- The standard answer is that women work harder just to be recognized. The better answer would be they work harder longer.
- Women practice Self Development. The difference between men and women is usually once a certain level of recognition is reached men have the tendency to stop and women keep on working. Women work hard and they work consistently to self develop. They continue to ask for feedback and they also continue to work to improve their skill level.
- Women take initiative. Using initiative is demonstrating your ability to work proactively. It shows you have the ability to think about different situations and find ways to make them better. Initiative is demonstrated by making suggestions at meetings, starting projects or fixing problems by yourself.
- They understand the importance of developing others. Perhaps because so many women have to do their own self development they are better at developing others. They understand the importance. They also understand the frustration caused when it is not done effectively. When you develop others, and truly embed that in your culture valuable employees will be much more likely to stay in your organization.
- Women display integrity and honesty. Females in a management position understand the hard work and effort necessary to move ahead. They have worked very hard to get where they are. As a result they are much more likely to recognize those employees that have the same work ethic. They will recognize and praise their contribution whenever possible.
- They are driven to get results. Every boss wants to have good results but women will put in the extra time and effort on a continual basis to achieve great results. They are used to going the extra mile to get where they are and they are not going to rest on their laurels.
- Women are great at developing relationships. Relationship building comes naturally to women. They tend to focus not only on short term relationships but also long term. It makes sense to build not only a good relationship with your team but your business relationships as well. You want a good satisfied team and a good satisfied business connection.
- They work to inspire and motivate others. Women are good at setting goals and helping others reach those goals. They encourage teamwork and mentoring others. They will invest time in training, for themselves and their team. Women are great mentors. Why? because women have the natural ability to nurture and guide.
- Women know the importance of collaboration and teamwork. To be successful you have to be able to build a team, a good solid invested team. You cannot do it all. Women know this because they have learned the value of relationships and collaboration in their journey of advancing in the workplace.
- They are not afraid of change. Women want change. They know how difficult it can be for a women to build a career. When they achieve a management position they are eager to create change in the workplace. They want to change the work culture within their organization to create opportunity for other women to advance.
It has taken a long time, too long, for women to achieve the recognition that they have worked so hard for. It has been difficult and it is not over. Yes, women are advancing up the ladder but those top rungs are still there. Women are so qualified but still not always recognized.
How do you get to the next rung on that ladder? Make the decision. Decide the exact place you want to be and make a plan on how to get there. Then focus, focus, focus. What is the job description and what are the requirements? Break it all down. Do you have the expertise now? If you do great. Now decide how you can surpass those requirements. Work on all the skills you need to get the job and then keep working to improve. Exceed all expectations.
Surround yourself with good people and create a support system by cultivating relationships with people you admire and respect. Be the person that other people want to work for. Always be supportive, always be honest and always follow through.
Take initiative and always look for new ways to do things better. Be credible by having an in depth understanding of every aspect of your job and how you want to change things.
Learn to stand up for yourself. Choose which battles you want to fight. What is important and will it be worth the fight. Be thoughtful in your decisions and make a choice. It can be a delicate dance but you will earn respect by doing so
“Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, “She doesn’t have what it takes.” They will say, “Women don’t have what it takes.” -Clare Boothe Luce
As my granddaughter told me when she was a wee little girl, “You can do it, grandma!” Yes, we can ladies. It may be a little harder but it is so worth it. You are going to be Awesome!
As always, thank you for reading my blog. Have a successful day!